Professor Amanda Ellis
- (DNA nanotechnology)
- (Drinking water treatment)
- (Membranes and biofilms)
- (Microarray analysis)
- Design and chemical modification of 2D and 3D surfaces (Graphene and carbon nanotubes)
Prof. Amanda Ellis graduated with a Ph.D (Applied Chemistry) from the University of Technology, Sydney in 2003. After two postdocs in the USA, including Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and New Mexico State University she secured a prestigious Foundation of Research Science and Technology Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Industrial Research Ltd (now Callaghan Innovations). In 2006 Amanda commenced at Flinders University as a teaching/research academic in Chemical and Physical Sciences. During this time she became a full professor and acting Associate Dean of Research for the Faculty of Science and Engineering. In May 2017 she joined the Chemical Engineering Department at the University of Melbourne. She has secured over $20 M in funding from the ARC and non-ARC sources on projects involving novel polymer coatings, functionalised carbon nanotubes and graphene, microfluidics, genotyping and DNA nanotechnology. Currently, she is an ARC Future Fellow, Board member of the Royal Australia Chemical Institute (RACI) and the President of the Membrane Society of Australasia (MSA).
- Shearer CJ, Yu L, Fenati R, Sibley AJ, Quinton JS, Gibson CT, Ellis A, Andersson GG, Shapter JG. Adsorption and Desorption of Single-Stranded DNA from Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. CHEMISTRY-AN ASIAN JOURNAL. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 13.
- Seow N, Fenati RA, Connolly AR, Ellis A. Hi-fidelity discrimination of isomiRs using G-quadruplex gatekeepers. PLoS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 11.
- Gan S, Zakaria S, Chia CH, Chen RS, Ellis A, Kaco H. Highly porous regenerated cellulose hydrogel and aerogel prepared from hydrothermal synthesized cellulose carbamate. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 3.
- Worthington MJH, Kucera RL, Albuquerque IS, Gibson CT, Sibley A, Slattery AD, Campbell JA, Alboaiji SFK, Muller KA, Young J, Adamson N, Gascooke JR, Jampaiah D, Sabri YM, Bhargava SK, Ippolito SJ, Lewis DA, Quinton JS, Ellis A, Johs A, Bernardes GJL, Chalker JM. Laying Waste to Mercury: Inexpensive Sorbents Made from Sulfur and Recycled Cooking Oils. Chemistry - A European Journal. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 64.
- Fenati RA, Khodakov D, Ellis A. Optimisation of DNA hybridisation and toehold strand displacement from magnetic bead surfaces. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NANOTECHNOLOGY. Inderscience Publishers. 2017, Vol. 14, Issue 1-6.
- Fenati RA, Connolly AR, Ellis A. Single nucleotide polymorphism discrimination with and without an ethidium bromide intercalator. ANALYTICA CHIMICA ACTA. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 954.
- Almutary AG, Sanderson BJS, Alhalili Z, Ellis A. Toxicity of thiolated silica nanoparticles modified with sulfobetaine methacrylate for potential use in chemotherapy drug conjugation. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 7.
- Connolly AR, Hirani R, Ellis A, Trau M. A DNA Circuit for IsomiR Detection. CHEMBIOCHEM. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 22.
- Jamieson T, Ellis A, Khodakov DA, Balzano S, Hemraj DA, Leterme SC. Bacterial production of transparent exopolymer particles during static and laboratory-based cross-flow experiments. ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE-WATER RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 2, Issue 2.
- Thompson VC, Adamson PJ, Dilag J, Liyanage DBUU, Srikantharajah K, Blok A, Ellis A, Gordon DL, Koper I. Biocompatible anti-microbial coatings for urinary catheters. RSC ADVANCES. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 6, Issue 58.
- Larsen LJ, Shearer CJ, Ellis A, Shapter JG. Optimization and Doping of Reduced Graphene Oxide-Silicon Solar Cells. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 120, Issue 29.
- Ben-David J, Stapleton AJ, Gibson CT, Sharma A, Gentle AR, Lewis DA, Ellis A. Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):polystyrene sulfonate-free silver nanowire/single walled carbon nanotube transparent electrodes using graphene oxide. THIN SOLID FILMS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 616.
- Bou S, Ellis A, Ebara M. Synthetic stimuli-responsive 'smart' fibers. CURRENT OPINION IN BIOTECHNOLOGY. Current Biology. 2016, Vol. 39.
- Leterme SC, Le Lan C, Hemraj DA, Ellis A. The impact of diatoms on the biofouling of seawater reverse osmosis membranes in a model cross-flow system. DESALINATION. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 392.
- Ginic-Markovic M, Barclay T, Constantopoulos KT, Al-Ghamdi T, Blok A, Markovic E, Ellis A. A versatile approach to grafting biofouling resistant coatings from polymeric membrane surfaces using an adhesive macroinitiator. RSC ADVANCES. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 5, Issue 77.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile