Dr Daniel Heath
- Polymer Science
- Regenerative Medicine & Tissue Engineering
Daniel Heath is a Lecturer with University of Melbourne's Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department. His research focuses on developing next generation biomaterials to address unmet needs in the health care field. This research is underpinned by expertise in polymer science, organic syntheses, and cell biology. Current projects in the Heath Lab include improving expansion of adult stem cells for regenerative medicine applications, creating advanced cell culture substrates to aid in understanding stem cell heterogeneity, and generating novel materials to enhance the blood compatibility of cardiovascular biomaterials.
- Kusuma GD, Brennecke SP, O'Connor A, Kalionis B, Heath D. Decellularized extracellular matrices produced from immortal cell lines derived from different parts of the placenta support primary mesenchymal stem cell expansion. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Heath D. Promoting Endothelialization of Polymeric Cardiovascular Biomaterials. MACROMOLECULAR CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 218, Issue 8.
- Heath D, Cooper SL. The development of polymeric biomaterials inspired by the extracellular matrix. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition. VSP. 2017.
- Heath D, Kang GCW, Cao Y, Poon YF, Chan V, Chan-Park MB. Biomaterials patterned with discontinuous microwalls for vascular smooth muscle cell culture: biodegradable small diameter vascular grafts and stable cell culture substrates. JOURNAL OF BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE-POLYMER EDITION. VSP. 2016, Vol. 27, Issue 15.
- Shirbin S, Karimi F, Chan NJ-A, Heath D, Qiao G. Macroporous Hydrogels Composed Entirely of Synthetic Polypeptides: Biocompatible and Enzyme Biodegradable 3D Cellular Scaffolds. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 9.
- Shakouri-Motlagh A, O'Connor A, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B, Heath D. Native and solubilized decellularized extracellular matrix: A critical assessment of their potential for improving the expansion of mesenchymal stem cells. Acta Biomaterialia. Elsevier BV. 2016.
- Heath D, Sharif ARM, Ng CP, Rhoads MG, Griffith LG, Hammond PT, Chan-Park MB. Regenerating the cell resistance of micromolded PEG hydrogels. Lab on a Chip - Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 15, Issue 9.
- Rayatpisheh S, Heath D, Shakouri A, Rujitanaroj PO, Chew SY, Chan-Park MB. Combining cell sheet technology and electrospun scaffolding for engineered tubular, aligned, and contractile blood vessels. Biomaterials. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 35, Issue 9.
- Ng CP, Sharif ARM, Heath D, Chow JW, Zhang CBY, Chan-Park MB, Hammond PT, Chan JKY, Griffith LG. Enhanced exvivo expansion of adult mesenchymal stem cells by fetal mesenchymal stem cell ECM. Biomaterials. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 35, Issue 13.
- Zhou C, Heath D, Sharif ARM, Rayatpisheh S, Oh BHL, Rong X, Beuerman R, Chan-Park MB. High Water Content Hydrogel With Super High Refractive Index. Macromolecular Bioscience. Wiley-VCH. 2013, Vol. 13, Issue 11.
- Heath D, Kobe C, Jones D, Moldovan NI, Cooper SL. In Vitro Endothelialization of Electrospun Terpolymer Scaffolds: Evaluation of Scaffold Type and Cell Source. Tissue Engineering. Part A. Tissue Engineering. Mary Ann Liebert Publishers. 2013, Vol. 19, Issue 1-2.
- Heath D, Cooper SL. Polymers: basic principles. Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine. Academic Press. 2013. Editors: Ratner BD, Hoffman AS, Schoen FJ, Lemons JE.
- Heath D, Cooper SL. Polyurethanes. Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine. Academic Press. 2013. Editors: Ratner BD, Hoffman AS, Schoen FJ, Lemons JE.
- Heath D, Hoy M, Rathman JF, Rohdieck S. Teaching chemical engineers about teaching. Chemical Engineering Education. American Society for Engineering Education. 2013, Vol. 47, Issue 1.
- Heath D, Cooper SL. Design and characterization of sulfobetaine-containing terpolymer biomaterials. Acta Biomaterialia. Elsevier BV. 2012, Vol. 8, Issue 8.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile