Dr Konrad Krysiak-Baltyn
Konrad obtained his Masters degree in Molecular Biology in 2007 at Gothenburg University, Sweden, having studied a broad range of subjects including Molecular Biology, Analytical Chemistry and Bioinformatics.
He did his PhD at the Technical University of Denmark in the area of Systems Biology/Bioinformatics. The project was a multidisciplinary collaboration between clinical doctors, epidemiologists and bioinformaticians, and its was to try to elcuidate the cause behind the rapid increase in the incidence rates of male reproductive disorders, particularly in industrialized countries.
Konrad's research focused on environmental factors, and his results indicated that endoctrine dirupting chemicals may indeed be contributing significantly to the observed trends.
After his PhD, Konrad continued to work as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Technical University of Denmark, working with data mining of clinical data sets and large scale gene expression analysis to find patterns between pathology, gene expression and exposure to toxic drugs or compounds.
Konrad is currently working in the research group of Dr. Sally Gras, working closely with the waste water treatment industry to explore a novel approach to reduce foaming in waste water treatment plants. Foaming can significantly reduce performance as well as incur costs for cleaning and equipment repair. Foaming may also cause a biological hazard, as pathogenic bacteria may be trapped in the foam and become airborne.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland AD, Scales P, Gras S. Simulation of phage dynamics in multi-reactor models of complex wastewater treatment systems. Biochemical Engineering Journal. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 122.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Computational models of populations of bacteria and lytic phage. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN MICROBIOLOGY. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 6.
- Burger W, Krysiak-Baltyn K, Scales P, Martin G, Stickland A, Gras S. The use of image analysis to characterise activated sludge flocs. APCChE Congress 2015 incorporating Chemeca 2015. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2015.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Nordahl Petersen T, Audouze K, JØrgensen N, Ängquist L, Brunak S. Compass: A hybrid method for clinical and biobank data mining. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. Academic Press. 2014, Vol. 47.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Toppari J, Skakkebaek NE, Jensen TS, Virtanen HE, Schramm KW, Shen H, Vartiainen T, Kiviranta H, Taboureau O, Audouze K, Brunak S, Main KM. Association between chemical pattern in breast milk and congenital cryptorchidism: modelling of complex human exposures. Journal of Andrology. American Society of Andrology. 2012, Vol. 35, Issue 3.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Toppari J, SkakkebÃ¦k N, Jensen T, Virtanen H, Schramm K, Shen H, Varitiainen T, Kiviranta H, Taboreau O, Brunak S, Main K. Country-specific chemical signatures of persistent environmental compounds in breast milk. 5th Copenhagen Workshop on Endocrine Disrupters. Blackwell Publishers. 2010, Vol. 33, Issue 2.
- Audouze K, Juncker AS, Roque FJSSA, Krysiak-Baltyn K, Weinhold N, Taboureau O, Jensen TS, Brunak S. Deciphering diseases and biological targets for environmental chemicals using toxicogenomics networks. PLoS Computational Biology. Public Library of Science. 2010, Vol. 6, Issue 5.