Dr Colin Scholes
- Separation Technology (Membrane)
Dr Colin Scholes was among eight young scientists from the University of Melbourne have been awarded 2012 Young Tall Poppy Science Awards for Victoria. All winners are leaders in their field, breaking new ground with their innovation and discoveries. The Young Tall Poppy Science Awards aim to recognise early career researchers who have achieved significant research outcomes and have demonstrated their passion to engage with the community in science. Award winners will spend the next year engaging with teachers, school students, parents and the broader community around Victoria and across Australia as part of the Tall Poppy Campaign run by the Australian Institute of Policy and Science.
Dr Scholes was a successful recipient of this award for his work in Climate Change Mitigation. Dr Scholes is developing efficient filtering membranes to separate carbon from industry gases such as coal-fired power stations.
- Scholes C, Dong G, Kim JS, Jo HJ, Lee J, Lee YM. Permeation and separation of SO2, H2S and CO2 through thermally rearranged (TR) polymeric membranes. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 179.
- Scholes C, Ghosh UK. Review of membranes for helium separation and purification. Membranes. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1.
- Scholes C, Gosh UK, Ho MT. The Economics of Helium Separation and Purification by Gas Separation Membranes. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 17.
- Lu HT, Kanehashi S, Scholes C, Kentish S. The impact of ethylene glycol and hydrogen sulphide on the performance of cellulose triacetate membranes in natural gas sweetening. Journal of Membrane Science. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 539.
- Scholes C, Kentish S, Stevens G, Demontigny D. Asymmetric composite PDMS membrane contactors for desorption of CO2 from monoethanolamine. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 55.
- Smit B, Graham R, Styring P, Yao J, Clough P, Lee JSM, MacDowell N, Lyth S, Rochelle G, Hills T, Wilson G, Petit C, Kemper J, Cuellar-Franca R, Dowson G, Gazzani M, Fennell P, Sutter D, Scholes C, Azapagic A, Bell R, Gibbins J, Mazzotti M, Maitland G, Brandani S, Ocone R, Mota-Martinez MT, Dunstan M, Liang P, Anantharaman R, Joss L, Stolaroff J. CCS-A technology for the future: General discussion. Faraday Discussions. 2016, Vol. 192.
- Scholes C, Ghosh U. Helium separation through polymeric membranes: selectivity targets. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 520.
- Scholes C, Jin J, Stevens G, Kentish S. Hydrocarbon solubility, permeability, and competitive sorption effects in polymer of intrinsic microporosity (PIM-1) membranes. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER PHYSICS. Wiley - John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 54, Issue 3.
- Scholes C, Stevens G, Kentish S. Impact of Heavy Hydrocarbons on Natural Gas Sweetening Using Perfluorinated Polymeric Membranes. 250th National Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS). American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 28.
- Liu Q, Galizia M, Gleason KL, Scholes C, Paul DR, Freeman BD. Influence of toluene on CO2 and CH4 gas transport properties in thermally rearranged (TR) polymers based on 3,3 '-dihydroxy-4,4 '-diamino-biphenyl (HAB) and 2,2 '-bis-(3,4-dicarboxyphenyl) hexafluoropropane dianhydride (6FDA). JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 514.
- Smit B, Styring P, Wilson G, Rochelle G, Donat F, Yao J, Trusler M, Adjiman C, Lyth S, Lee JSM, Hills T, Brandl P, Gazzani M, Cuellar-Franca R, Fennell P, Sutter D, Bui M, Scholes C, Dowson G, Gibbins J, Joss L, Maitland G, Brandani S, Garcia-Gutierrez P, Zhang Y, MÜller C, Jackson G, Ocone R, Joos L, Bell R, Graham R. Modelling-from molecules to mega-scale: General discussion. Faraday Discussions. 2016, Vol. 192.
- Azher H, Scholes C, Kanehashi S, Stevens G, Kentish S. The effect of temperature on the permeation properties of Sulphonated Poly (Ether Ether) Ketone in wet flue gas streams. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 519.
- Lu H, Kanehashi S, Scholes C, Kentish S. The potential for use of cellulose triacetate membranes in post combustion capture. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GREENHOUSE GAS CONTROL. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 55.
- Scholes C. Thermally Rearranged Poly(benzoxazole) Copolymer Membranes for Improved Gas Separation: A Review. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY. CSIRO Publications. 2016, Vol. 69, Issue 6.
- Scholes C, Kentish S, Stevens G, Demontigny D. Comparison of thin film composite and microporous membrane contactors for CO2 absorption into monoethanolamine. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GREENHOUSE GAS CONTROL. Elsevier. 2015, Vol. 42.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile