Dr Anthony Stickland
- Solid-Liquid Separation
- Suspension Rheology
Research Area: Environmental Engineering
Water and waste water processing and recycling
Research Area: Materials & Minerals Engineering
Flow process modelling
Anthony’s primary research area is the flow and deformation (or rheology) of particulate suspensions. The suspension may be under a shear load such as in pipe flow and flow down a slope, or under a compressional load such as in filtration and centrifugation. Current areas of research involve solid-liquid separation processes in a wide range of industries including mineral processing, water treatment, waste-water treatment and bio-sludges. Work is continuing on the development and validation of experimental characterisation methods and modelling tools for sedimentation, thickening, filtration, centrifugation, drying and evaporation applications. An important strategic goal is to incorporate shear effects into characterisation methods and dewatering models, thereby enabling optimisation of complex dewatering processes that involve combined shear and compressional loads such as cross-flow filtration, raked thickening, decanting centrifugation and thin film drying.
• Advanced Thermodynamics and Reactor Engineering
• Particle Mechanics and Processing
The Solid Liquid Separations Group
- Skinner S, Stickland A, White L, Lester DR, Usher S, Scales P. Analysis of Centrifugal Settling of Strongly Flocculated Suspensions. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). 2016.
- Stickland A, Skinner S, Scales P. Compressive rheology of biofouling: application to membrane bioreactors. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Computational models of populations of bacteria and lytic phage. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN MICROBIOLOGY. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 6.
- Stickland A. Fast or slow filtering suspensions – a general approach to optimising constant pressure batch filtration. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Stickland A, Irvin E, Skinner S, Scales P, Hawkey A, Kaswalder F. Filter Press Performance for Fast-Filtering Compressible Suspensions. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 3.
- Alharthi K, Christianto Y, Aguiar A, Stickland A, Stevens G, Kentish S. Impact of Fly Ash on the Membrane Performance in Postcombustion Carbon Capture Applications. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 16.
- Rahim M, Bjornmalm A, Suma T, Faria M, Ju Y, Kempe K, Muellner M, Ejima H, Stickland A, Caruso F. Metal-Phenolic Supramolecular Gelation. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 44.
- Stickland A, Skinner S, Scales P. Optimisation of Filter Design and Operation for Wastewater Treatment Sludge. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). 2016.
- HÖfgen E, Stickland A, Scales P, Batterham R. Superposition of compression and shear in filtration. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Goni C, Jeldres RI, Toledo PG, Stickland A, Scales P. A non-linear viscoelastic model for sediments flocculated in the presence of seawater salts. COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 482.
- Hunter TN, Usher S, Biggs S, Scalesb PJ, Stickland A, Franks G. Characterization of bed densification in a laboratory scale thickener, by novel application of an acoustic backscatter system. 7th World Congress on Particle Technology (WCPT). Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 102. Editors: Ge W, Han Y, Wang J, Wang L, Liu X, Zhou J, Li J.
- Stickland A, Irvin E, Skinner S, Scales P, Hawkey A, Kaswalder F. Compressible suspension characterisation and plate-and-frame filter prediction. FILTECH 2015 Conference. 2015.
- Scales P, Kumar A, Van Deventer B, Stickland A, Usher S. COMPRESSIONAL DEWATERING OF FLOCCULATED MINERAL SUSPENSIONS. CANADIAN JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2015, Vol. 93, Issue 3.
- Stickland A. Compressional rheology: A tool for understanding compressibility effects in sludge dewatering. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 82.
- Chellappan S, Rees CA, Devadas M, Usher S, Stickland A, Scales P. Determination of Breakthrough Concentration and Cracking Time during Drying of Wastewater Sludge. APCChE 2015 Congress incorporating Chemeca 2015. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2015.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile