Associate Professor Sally Gras
Associate Professor Sally Gras is a Reader in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The University of Melbourne and Director of The ARC Dairy Innovation Hub.
Current Research Activities
- Nano and Biomolecular Engineering
- Nanostructured Materials
- Tailored Biomaterials and Emulsions
- Nano-diagnostics, nano-toxicology, nano-therapeutics
- Fermentation processes and scale-up
- Freidman BL, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. A bio-reactive barrier sequence for petroleum hydrocarbon capture and degradation in low nutrient environments. INTERNATIONAL BIODETERIORATION & BIODEGRADATION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 116.
- Van't Hag L, Anandan A, Seabrook SA, Gras S, Drummond CJ, Vrielink A, Conn CE. Direct demonstration of lipid phosphorylation in the lipid bilayer of the biomimetic bicontinuous cubic phase using the confined enzyme lipid A phosphoethanolamine transferase. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 7.
- Freidman BL, Terry D, Wilkins D, Spedding T, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. Permeable bio-reactive barriers to address petroleum hydrocarbon contamination at subantarctic Macquarie Island. CHEMOSPHERE. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 174.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland AD, Scales P, Gras S. Simulation of phage dynamics in multi-reactor models of complex wastewater treatment systems. Biochemical Engineering Journal. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 122.
- Deng H, Chen GQ, Gras S, Kentish S. The effect of restriction membranes on mass transfer in an electrodialysis with filtration membrane process. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 526.
- Yang W, Willemse J, Sawyer EB, Lou F, Gong W, Zhang H, Gras S, Claessen D, Perrett S. The propensity of the bacterial rodlin protein RdlB to form amyloid fibrils determines its function in Streptomyces coelicolor. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7.
- Li X, Burger S, O'Connor A, Ong L, Karas J, Gras S. An enzyme-responsive controlled release system based on a dual-functional peptide. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 52, Issue 29.
- Freidman B, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. Application of controlled nutrient release to permeable reactive barriers. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 169.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Computational models of populations of bacteria and lytic phage. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN MICROBIOLOGY. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 6.
- Kezia K, Lee J, Zisu B, Weeks M, Chen G, Gras S, Kentish S. Crystallisation of minerals from concentrated saline dairy effluent. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 101.
- Van't Hag L, Shen H-H, Lin T-W, Gras S, Drummond CJ, Conn CE. Effect of Lipid-Based Nanostructure on Protein Encapsulation within the Membrane Bilayer Mimetic Lipidic Cubic Phase Using Transmembrane and Lipo-proteins from the Beta-Barrel Assembly Machinery. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 47.
- Freidman B, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. Effects of Freeze-Thaw Phenomena on Controlled Nutrient Release: Application to Bioremediation. CLEAN-SOIL AIR WATER. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2016, Vol. 44, Issue 12.
- Van 't Hag L, Knoblich K, Seabrook SA, Kirby NM, Mudie ST, Lau D, Li X, Gras S, Mulet X, Call M, Call M, Drummond CJ, Conn CE. Exploring the in meso crystallization mechanism by characterizing the lipid mesophase microenvironment during the growth of single transmembrane alpha-helical peptide crystals. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. Royal Society of London. 2016, Vol. 374, Issue 2072.
- Van 't Hag L, Li X, Meikle T, Hoffmann SV, Jones NC, Pedersen JS, Hawley AM, Gras S, Conn CE, Drummond CJ. How Peptide Molecular Structure and Charge Influence the Nanostructure of Lipid Bicontinuous Cubic Mesophases: Model Synthetic WALP Peptides Provide Insights. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 27.
- Chen G, Eschbach F, Weeks M, Gras S, Kentish S. Removal of lactic acid from acid whey using electrodialysis. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 158.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile