Associate Professor Dalton Harvie
- Biofluids (understanding biological flows)
- Dairy Processing
- Mineral Processing (droplet coalescence, solvent extraction)
- Multiphysics Fluid Dynamics
Dr Harvie's speciality is Multiphysics Fluid Dynamics (MFD), encompassing method development and application. MFD problems involve the coupling of fluid dynamics to other physical phenomenon, and often involve coupled quantities, the solution of nonlinear equations, multiple material phases and linked complex geometries. Dr Harvie applies this numerical technology to improving and understanding processes across a number of industrial and application areas, including the biomedical, mining, dairy and microfluidic fields.
More details of the research conducted within our group can be found on the MFD page.
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrophoretically mediated partial coalescence of a charged microdrop. Chemical Engineering Science. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016.
- Davidson M, Berry J, Pillai R, Harvie D. Numerical simulation of two-fluid flow of electrolyte solution with charged deforming interfaces. APPLIED MATHEMATICAL MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 40, Issue 3.
- Biscombe C, Davidson M, Harvie D. Corrections to 'Microfluidic circuit analysis I: Ion current relationships for thin slits and pipes', J. Colloid Interface Sci. 365 (2012) 1-15 and 'Microfluidic circuit analysis II: Implications of ion conservation for microchannels connected in series', J. Colloid Interface Sci. 365 (2012) 16-27. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2015, Vol. 442.
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrolytic drops in an electric field: A numerical study of drop deformation and breakup. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2015, Vol. 92, Issue 1.
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrophoretic effects on satellite droplet formation during electrocoalescence of microdrops. 11th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries. 2015. Editors: Solnordal CB, Liovic B, Delaney GW, Cummins SJ, Schwarz MP, Witt PJ.
- Go DP, Harvie D, Tirtaatmadja N, Gras S, O'Connor A. A Simple, Scalable Process for the Production of Porous Polymer Microspheres by Ink-Jetting Combined with Thermally Induced Phase Separation. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2014, Vol. 31, Issue 6.
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Effect of interfacial tension and electric field on charge separation dynamics inside stable and unstable microdrops. Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, AFMC 2014. 2014.
- Leong T, Yasui K, Kato K, Harvie D, Ashokkumar M, Kentish S. Effect of surfactants on single bubble sonoluminescence behavior and bubble surface stability. Physical Review E. American Physical Society. 2014, Vol. 89.
- Biscombe C, Davidson M, Harvie D. Electrokinetic flow in parallel channels: Circuit modelling for microfluidics and membranes. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 440.
- Berry J, Davidson M, Harvie D. Electroviscous flow through nanofluidic junctions. Applied Mathematical Modelling. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 38, Issue 17-18.
- Berry J, Foong A, Lade CE, Biscombe C, Davidson M, Harvie D. Electroviscous resistance of nanofluidic bends. Physical Review E. American Physical Society. 2014, Vol. 90.
- Ciceri D, Mason L, Harvie D, Perera J, Stevens G. Extraction kinetics of Fe(III) by di-(2-ethylhexyl) phosphoric acid using a Y-Y shaped microfluidic device. Chemical Engineering Research & Design. Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2014, Vol. 92, Issue 3.
- Davidson M, Berry J, Harvie D. Numerical simulation of the deformation of charged drops of electrolyte. WIT Transactions on Engineering Sciences. WIT Press. 2014, Vol. 82.
- Mason LR, Stevens G, Harvie D. Subgrid CFD film-drainage modelling: Application to buoyancy-driven droplet-wall collisions in emulsions. Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, AFMC 2014. 2014.
- Berry J, Davidson M, Harvie D. A multiphase electrokinetic flow model for electrolytes with liquid/liquid interfaces. Journal of Computational Physics. Academic Press. 2013, Vol. 251.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile