Professor Greg Qiao
Greg Qiao is Professor of Macromolecular Chemistry and Engineering and Assistant Dean (Research) in the Melbourne School of Engineering. He is also a Deputy Head of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
His current Research Activities include:
Environmental Engineering - Greenhouse Gas Recovery
Nano and Biomolecular Engineering - Nanostructured Materials, Tissue Engineering
Materials and Minerals Engineering - Polymer Science
The research interests of Greg Qiao are in the area of synthetic polymer science and engineering. His research applies various polymerization techniques, including controlled free radical polymerizations, to synthesize novel polymeric architectures, biodegradable and functional polymers. His industrial research is in the synthesis of the nanogels for automotive coatings and the novel hydrogels for biological separations. The research in biopolymers is focused on applications in tissue engineering.
Greg leads an internationally recognized Polymer Science Group in the Department and is currently the president of the Victorian Polymer Group under Royal Australia Chemical Institute. He is also a project leader of the Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) and CRC for Polymers.
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (US Application: US20110250353 A1 20111013, 2011)
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (Patent Number: US20110250353A1, 2011) Solomon, D. H., Prime, E. L., Sunartio, D., Qiao, G. G., Dagley, I. & Blencowe, A. Method for controlling water evaporation. (Application: WO patent application 2009-AU1684, 2010).
Qiao, G. G.; Powell, C. Kentish, S.; Gas Separation Membranes and Processes For The Manufacture Thereof. (PCT Int. Appl. 2008: PCT2007906042; US Application: US 61/001879, 2008)
Qiao, G.G.; Connal, L.; Wiltshire, J.; Porous Polymeric Materials and Polymer Particles For Preparation Thereof (PCT Full Patent, November, 2006)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Gurr, P.; Mills, M. Microgel Composition ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/01580)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Kwok, A.; Hydrogel Preparation and Process for Manufacture ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/001680 )
Solomon. D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Caulfield, M. J. Atchison, S. Process for Preparation of Ultra Thin Membranes ( PCT Int. Appl. 2001, PCT AU01/01030; WO 0213956; US 09/645956)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Shaw, R.W.; Juric D. D. Improved Carbon Composites ( PCT Int. Appl. 2000, WO 0056811; EP 1210387; NO 2001004604; ZA 2001007808;)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Abrol. S. Process for Microgel Preparation ( PCT Int. Appl. 1999, 53 pp. WO 9958588; US6545095; TW 444024; AU 9936924; CA 2331785; EP 1076668; JP 2002514667)
- Nam E, Wong E, Tan S, Fu Q, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Antifogging Surface Facilitated by Nanoscale Coatings with Controllable Hydrophobicity and Cross-Linking Density. MACROMOLECULAR MATERIALS AND ENGINEERING. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 302, Issue 1.
- Xie K, Fu Q, Kim J, Lu H, He Y, Zhao Q, Scofield J, Webley P, Qiao G. Increasing both selectivity and permeability of mixed-matrix membranes: Sealing the external surface of porous MOF nanoparticles. Journal of Membrane Science. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 535.
- Thuy-Khanh N, Lam SJ, Ho KKK, Kumar N, Qiao G, Egan S, Boyer C, Wong EHH. Rational Design of Single-Chain Polymeric Nanoparticles That Kill Planktonic and Biofilm Bacteria. ACS INFECTIOUS DISEASES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 3, Issue 3.
- Fu Q, Kim J, Gurr P, Scofield J, Kentish S, Qiao G. A novel cross-linked nano-coating for carbon dioxide capture. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Fu Q, McKenzie T, Ren J, Tan S, Nam E, Qiao G. A novel solid state photocatalyst for living radical polymerization under UV irradiation. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 6.
- Xie D, Wei Y, Qiao G, Dunstan D. Alignment of Red Polydodecadyin-1,12-diol-bis(4-butoxycarbonylmethyl-urethane) in Couette Flow. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 120, Issue 34.
- McKenzie T, Fu Q, Uchiyama M, Satoh K, Xu J, Boyer C, Kamigaito M, Qiao G. Beyond Traditional RAFT: Alternative Activation of Thiocarbonylthio Compounds for Controlled Polymerization. ADVANCED SCIENCE. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2016, Vol. 3, Issue 9.
- Lam S, Wong E, O'Brien-Simpson N, Pantarat N, Blencowe A, Reynolds E, Qiao G. Bionano Interaction Study on Antimicrobial Star-Shaped Peptide Polymer Nanoparticles. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 49.
- Scofield J, Gurr P, Kim J, Fu Q, Kentish S, Qiao G. Blends of Fluorinated Additives with Highly Selective Thin-Film Composite Membranes to Increase CO2 Permeability for CO2/N-2 Gas Separation Applications. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 30.
- Kim J, Fu Q, Xie K, Kentish S, Qiao G. CO2 separation using surface-functionalized SiO2 nanoparticles incorporated ultra-thin film composite mixed matrix membranes for post-combustion carbon capture. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 515.
- Lam S, O'Brien-Simpson N, Pantarat N, Sulistio A, Wong E, Chen Y, Lenzo J, Holden J, Blencowe A, Reynolds E, Qiao G. Combating multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria with structurally nanoengineered antimicrobial peptide polymers. Nature Microbiology. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 1, Issue 11.
- Scofield J, Gurr P, Kim J, Fu Q, Kentish S, Qiao G. Development of novel fluorinated additives for high performance CO2 separation thin-film composite membranes. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 499.
- Prime E, Solomon D, Dagley IJ, Qiao G. Duolayers at the Air/Water Interface: Improved Lifetime through Ionic Interactions. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 120, Issue 30.
- Xu C, Peng S, Qiao G, Zhang X. Effects of the Molecular Structure of a Self-Assembled Monolayer on the Formation and Morphology of Surface Nanodroplets. Langmuir. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 43.
- Xie D, Qiao G, Dunstan D. Flow-induced aggregation of colloidal particles in viscoelastic fluids. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2016, Vol. 94, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile