Dr Luke Connal
- Organic Chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Self assembly
Luke Connal received a bachelor’s of Chemical engineering in 2002 and a PhD in polymer chemistry in 2007 both from the University of Melbourne, Australia. From 2007 to 2009 he completed a post-doctoral position with Frank Caruso developing new techniques for the self-assembly of polymers. In 2009 he was a joint Sir Keith Murdoch postdoctoral Fellow and Australian Linkage International Fellow at University of California Santa Barbra with Prof Craig Hawker. In 2013 Luke has returned to the University of Melbourne as a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. His research interests lie in the development of biomimicry materials using advanced polymer design, self-assembly and catalysis.
In 2013 Dr Connal accepted a prestigious VESKI Innovation Fellowship worth $150,000 over three years. The fellowships fund the return of important researchers to Victoria.
- Hu G, Xiao Z, Smith K, Kentish S, Stevens G, Connal L. A carbonic anhydrase inspired temperature responsive polymer based catalyst for accelerating carbon capture. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 332.
- Nadgorny M, Xiao Z, Connal L. 2D and 3D-printing of self-healing gels: design and extrusion of self-rolling objects. MOLECULAR SYSTEMS DESIGN & ENGINEERING. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 3.
- Bennett C, Collins J, Xiao Z, Klinger D, Connal L. A Scalable and Versatile Synthesis of Oxime-Based Hormone Dimers and Gels for Sustained Release. CHEMISTRY-AN ASIAN JOURNAL. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 13.
- Collins J, Nadgorny M, Xiao Z, Connal L. Doubly Dynamic Self-Healing Materials Based on Oxime Click Chemistry and Boronic Acids. MACROMOLECULAR RAPID COMMUNICATIONS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 38, Issue 6.
- Karimi F, Collins J, Heath D, Connal L. Dynamic Covalent Hydrogels for Triggered Cell Capture and Release. BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 9.
- Oschmann B, Lawrence J, Schulze MW, Ren J, Anastasaki A, Luo Y, Nothling MD, Pester CW, Delaney KT, Connal L, McGrath AJ, Clark PG, Bates CM, Hawker CJ. Effects of Tailored Dispersity on the Self-Assembly of Dimethylsiloxane-Methyl Methacrylate Block Co-Oligomers. ACS MACRO LETTERS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 7.
- Nothling MD, Ganesan A, Condic-Jurkic K, Pressly E, Davalos A, Gotrik MR, Xiao Z, Khoshdel E, Hawker CJ, O'Mara ML, Coote ML, Connal L. Erratum: Simple Design of an Enzyme-Inspired Supported Catalyst Based on a Catalytic Triad (Chem (2017) 2(5) (732–745) (S2451929417301705) (10.1016/j.chempr.2017.04.004)). Chem. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 6.
- Ng W, Connal L, Forbes E, Mohanarangam K, Franks G. In situ investigation of aggregate sizes formed using thermo-responsive polymers: Effect of temperature and shear. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 494.
- Nadgorny M, Gentekos DT, Xiao Z, Singleton SP, Fors BP, Connal L. Manipulation of Molecular Weight Distribution Shape as a New Strategy to Control Processing Parameters. MACROMOLECULAR RAPID COMMUNICATIONS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 38, Issue 19.
- Chen C, Wylie R, Klinger D, Connal L. Shape Control of Soft Nanoparticles and Their Assemblies. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 5.
- Nothling M, Ganesan A, Condic-Jurkic K, Pressly E, Davalos A, Gotrik MR, Xiao Z, Khoshdel E, Hawker CJ, O'Mara ML, Coote ML, Connal L. Simple Design of an Enzyme-Inspired Supported Catalyst Based on a Catalytic Triad. CHEM. Cell Press. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 5.
- Xiao Z, Bonnard T, Shakouri-Motlagh A, Wylie R, Collins J, White J, Heath D, Hagemeyer CE, Connal L. Triggered and Tunable Hydrogen Sulfide Release from Photogenerated Thiobenzaldehydes. CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 47.
- Brisson E, Xiao Z, Franks G, Connal L. Versatile Synthesis of Amino Acid Functional Polymers without Protection Group Chemistry. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Lawrence J, Lee S-H, Abdilla A, Nothling M, Ren J, Knight AS, Fleischmann C, Li Y, Abrams AS, Schmidt BVKJ, Hawker MC, Connal L, McGrath AJ, Clark PG, Gutekunst WR, Hawker CJ. A Versatile and Scalable Strategy to Discrete Oligomers. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 138, Issue 19.
- Brisson E, Xiao Z, Connal L. Amino Acid Functional Polymers: Biomimetic Polymer Design Enabling Catalysis, Chiral Materials, and Drug Delivery. 35th Australasian Polymer Symposium. CSIRO Publications. 2016, Vol. 69, Issue 7.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile