Dr Luke Connal
- Organic Chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Self assembly
Luke Connal received a bachelor’s of Chemical engineering in 2002 and a PhD in polymer chemistry in 2007 both from the University of Melbourne, Australia. From 2007 to 2009 he completed a post-doctoral position with Frank Caruso developing new techniques for the self-assembly of polymers. In 2009 he was a joint Sir Keith Murdoch postdoctoral Fellow and Australian Linkage International Fellow at University of California Santa Barbra with Prof Craig Hawker. In 2013 Luke has returned to the University of Melbourne as a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. His research interests lie in the development of biomimicry materials using advanced polymer design, self-assembly and catalysis.
In 2013 Dr Connal accepted a prestigious VESKI Innovation Fellowship worth $150,000 over three years. The fellowships fund the return of important researchers to Victoria.
- Ng W, Connal L, Forbes E, Mohanarangam K, Franks G. In situ investigation of aggregate sizes formed using thermo-responsive polymers: Effect of temperature and shear. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 494.
- Brisson E, Xiao Z, Franks G, Connal L. Versatile Synthesis of Amino Acid Functional Polymers without Protection Group Chemistry. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Lawrence J, Lee S-H, Abdilla A, Nothling M, Ren JM, Knight AS, Fleischmann C, Li Y, Abrams AS, Schmidt BVKJ, Hawker MC, Connal L, McGrath AJ, Clark PG, Gutekunst WR, Hawker CJ. A Versatile and Scalable Strategy to Discrete Oligomers. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 138, Issue 19.
- Brisson E, Xiao Z, Connal L. Amino Acid Functional Polymers: Biomimetic Polymer Design Enabling Catalysis, Chiral Materials, and Drug Delivery. 35th Australasian Polymer Symposium. CSIRO Publications. 2016, Vol. 69, Issue 7.
- Collins J, Xiao Z, Espinosa-Gomez A, Fors BP, Connal L. Extremely rapid and versatile synthesis of high molecular weight step growth polymers via oxime click chemistry. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 14.
- Brisson E, Xiao Z, Levin L, Franks G, Connal L. Facile synthesis of histidine functional poly(N-isopropylacrylamide): zwitterionic and temperature responsive materials. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 10.
- Xiao Z, Wylie R, Brisson E, Connal L. pH-responsive fluorescent hydrogels using a new thioflavin T cross-linker. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-POLYMER CHEMISTRY. John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 54, Issue 5.
- Chen C, Xiao Z, Connal L. Phase Separated Block Copolymer Particles with Tuneable Morphologies: Striped, Onion, and Patchy Particles. 35th Australasian Polymer Symposium. CSIRO Publications. 2016, Vol. 69, Issue 7.
- Kempe K, Wylie R, Dimitriou MD, Tran H, Hoogenboom R, Schubert US, Hawker CJ, Campos LM, Connal L. Preparation of non-spherical particles from amphiphilic block copolymers. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-POLYMER CHEMISTRY. John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 54, Issue 6.
- Xiao Z, Chen C, Brisson E, Collins J, Ng W, Connal L. Spatial Control of Flocculation Via Light. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-POLYMER CHEMISTRY. John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 54, Issue 21.
- Collins J, Xiao Z, Mullner M, Connal L. The emergence of oxime click chemistry and its utility in polymer science. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 23.
- Nadgorny M, Xiao Z, Chen C, Connal L. Three-Dimensional Printing of pH-Responsive and Functional Polymers on an Affordable Desktop Printer. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 42.
- Ng WS, Connal L, Forbes E, Franks G. Xanthate-functional temperature-responsive polymers as selective flocculants and collectors for fines recovery. 7th International Flotation Conference (Flotation). Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 96-97.
- Ng W, Forbes E, Franks G, Connal L. Xanthate-Functional Temperature-Responsive Polymers: Effect on Lower Critical Solution Temperature Behavior and Affinity toward Sulfide Surfaces. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 30.
- Lowe S, O'Brien-Simpson N, Connal L. Antibiofouling polymer interfaces: poly(ethylene glycol) and other promising candidates. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 6, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile