Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso is a professor and ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Prof Caruso is also Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence on Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne, and then moved to the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Berlin, Germany) from 1997 until 2002.
His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed papers and is on the ISI most highly cited list, ranking in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is an Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2009. Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research.
- Bertleff-Zieschang N, Rahim M, Ju Y, Braunger J, Suma T, Dai Y, Pan S, Cavalieri F, Caruso F. Biofunctional metal-phenolic films from dietary flavonoids. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 53, Issue 6.
- Dai Q, Guo J, Yan Y, Ang C, Bertleff-Zieschang N, Caruso F. Cell-Conditioned Protein Coronas on Engineered Particles Influence Immune Responses. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 2.
- Kempe K, Xiang SD, Wilson P, Rahim MA, Ju Y, Whittaker MR, Haddleton DM, Plebanski M, Caruso F, Davis TP. Engineered Hydrogen-Bonded Glycopolymer Capsules and Their Interactions with Antigen Presenting Cells. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 7.
- Gause KT, Wheatley AK, Cui J, Yan Y, Kent SJ, Caruso F. Immunological Principles Guiding the Rational Design of Particles for Vaccine Delivery. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 1.
- Braunger J, Bjornmalm A, Isles N, Cui J, Henderson T, O'Connor A, Caruso F. Interactions between circulating nanoengineered polymer particles and extracellular matrix components in vitro. BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE. R S C Publications. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 2.
- Ejima H, Richardson JJ, Caruso F. Metal-phenolic networks as a versatile platform to engineer nanomaterials and biointerfaces. NANO TODAY. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 12.
- Suma T, Cui J, Muellner M, Fu S, Tran J, Noi KF, Ju Y, Caruso F. Modulated Fragmentation of Proapoptotic Peptide Nanoparticles Regulates Cytotoxicity. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 139, Issue 11.
- Bjoernmalm M, Cui J, Berdeff-Zieschang N, Song D, Faria M, Rahim M, Caruso F. Nanoengineering Particles through Template Assembly. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 1.
- Chen X, Cortez-Jugo C, Choi GH, Bjornmalm A, Dai Y, Yoo PJ, Caruso F. Patterned Poly(dopamine) Films for Enhanced Cell Adhesion. BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 1.
- Cui J, Faria M, Bjornmalm A, Ju Y, Suma T, Gunawan S, Richardson J, Heidar H, Bals S, Crampin E, Caruso F. A Framework to Account for Sedimentation and Diffusion in Particle-Cell Interactions. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 47.
- Klemm V, Mitchell J, Cortez-Jugo C, Cavalieri F, Symonds G, Caruso F, Kelleher AD, Ahlenstiel C. Achieving HIV-1 Control through RNA-Directed Gene Regulation. GENES. MDPI AG. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 12.
- Bjornmalm A, Faria M, Caruso F. Advancing Research Using Action Cameras. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 23.
- Choi GH, Rhee DK, Park AR, Oh MJ, Hong S, Richardson J, Guo J, Caruso F, Yoo PJ. Ag Nanoparticle/Polydopamine-Coated Inverse Opals as Highly Efficient Catalytic Membranes. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 5.
- Chen X, Cui J, Sun H, Mullner M, Yan Y, Noi K, Ping Y, Caruso F. Analysing intracellular deformation of polymer capsules using structured illumination microscopy. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 23.
- Gause K, Yan Y, O'Brien-Simpson N, Cui J, Lenzo J, Reynolds E, Caruso F. Codelivery of NOD2 and TLR9 Ligands via Nanoengineered Protein Antigen Particles for Improving and Tuning Immune Responses. ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 26, Issue 41.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile