Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso is a professor and ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Prof Caruso is also Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence on Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne, and then moved to the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Berlin, Germany) from 1997 until 2002.
His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed papers and is on the ISI most highly cited list, ranking in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is an Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2009. Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research.
- Cui J, Faria M, BjÖrnmalm M, Ju Y, Suma T, Gunawan S, Richardson J, Heidari H, Bals S, Crampin E, Caruso F. A Framework to Account for Sedimentation and Diffusion in Particle-Cell Interactions.. Langmuir. American Chemical Society. 2016.
- Choi GH, Rhee DK, Park AR, Oh MJ, Hong S, Richardson J, Guo J, Caruso F, Yoo PJ. Ag Nanoparticle/Polydopamine-Coated Inverse Opals as Highly Efficient Catalytic Membranes. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 5.
- Chen X, Cui J, Sun H, Mullner M, Yan Y, Noi K, Ping Y, Caruso F. Analysing intracellular deformation of polymer capsules using structured illumination microscopy. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 23.
- Gause K, Yan Y, O'Brien-Simpson N, Cui J, Lenzo J, Reynolds E, Caruso F. Codelivery of NOD2 and TLR9 Ligands via Nanoengineered Protein Antigen Particles for Improving and Tuning Immune Responses. Advanced Functional Materials. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 26, Issue 41.
- Cecil J, O'Brien-Simpson N, Lenzo J, Holden J, Chen Y, Singleton W, Gause K, Yan Y, Caruso F, Reynolds E. Differential Responses of Pattern Recognition Receptors to Outer Membrane Vesicles of Three Periodontal Pathogens. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 4.
- Bjornmalm A, Faria M, Chen X, Cui J, Caruso F. Dynamic Flow Impacts Cell-Particle Interactions: Sedimentation and Particle Shape Effects. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 42.
- Ju Y, Cui J, Sun H, Mullner M, Dai Y, Guo J, Bertleff-Zieschang N, Suma T, Richardson J, Caruso F. Engineered Metal-Phenolic Capsules Show Tunable Targeted Delivery to Cancer Cells. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 6.
- De Koker S, Cui J, Vanparijs N, Albertazzi L, Grooten J, Caruso F, De Geest BG. Engineering Polymer Hydrogel Nanoparticles for Lymph Node-Targeted Delivery. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 4.
- Cui J, Hibbs B, Gunawan S, Braunger J, Chen X, Richardson J, Hanssen E, Caruso F. Immobilized Particle Imaging for Quantification of Nano- and Microparticles. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 14.
- Wise A, Tan J, Wang Y, Caruso F, Shepherd R. Improved auditory nerve survival with nanoengineered supraparticles for neurotrophin delivery into the deafened cochlea. PLoS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 10.
- Ju Y, Dai Q, Cui J, Dai Y, Suma T, Richardson J, Caruso F. Improving Targeting of Metal-Phenolic Capsules by the Presence of Protein Coronas. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 35.
- Yong J, Stevens G, Caruso F, Kentish S. In situ layer-by-layer assembled carbonic anhydrase-coated hollow fiber membrane contactor for rapid CO2 absorption. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 514.
- Bjornmalm A, Faria M, Caruso F. Increasing the Impact of Materials in and beyond Bio-Nano Science. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 138, Issue 41.
- Liang K, Richardson JJ, Cui J, Caruso F, Doonan CJ, Falcaro P. Metal-Organic Framework Coatings as Cytoprotective Exoskeletons for Living Cells. ADVANCED MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 36.
- Rahim M, Bjornmalm A, Suma T, Faria M, Ju Y, Kempe K, Muellner M, Ejima H, Stickland A, Caruso F. Metal-Phenolic Supramolecular Gelation. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 44.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile