Professor Geoff Stevens
- CO2 Separation
- Chemical Engineering, separation processes, interfacial phenomena, solvent extraction (Solvent extraction, tissue engineering, environmental remediation)
- Emulsion Stability
- Hydrodynamics of Dispersions
- Ion Exchange
- Mass Transfer and Diffusion Processes
- Soft Tissue Engineering & Biocompatible Materials
Prof Geoff Stevens is a Laureate Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Stevens leads an internationally recognised separations group, is a Project Leader in the CRC for greenhouse gas remediation (CO2CRC). He was Secretary General of the International Solvent Extraction Committee (1996-2016) and is on the editorial boards for 'Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange' (1999-2016), 'Hydrometallurgy' (1994-2016), 'Chinese journal of Chemical Engineering' and the 'Chem Eng Journal'.
Research interests are in the areas of separation processes, particularly solvent extraction, interfacial phenomena and emulsion stability. The research is primarily in the hydrometallurgical field but also covers aspects of food, pharmaceutical processing and environmental or waste water processing.
Prof Stevens has been named in Engineers Australias list of the 100 Most Influential Engineers 3 years in a row. Sponsored by Engineers Australia, the list aims to acknowledge engineers who have a positive influence on society.
Professor Stevens has been bestowed with the honour of Melbourne Laureate Professor in September 2011 in recognition of an outstanding career and contribution to the discipline and the University.
Professor Stevens researching separation processes with particular focus on solvent extraction received the Patricia Grimshaw Award for Mentor Excellence in 2014. This award recognizes his outstanding contribution as a mentor providing exceptional support and respect for colleague development. He was also nominated for the Australian Awards for University Teaching in the Category: High Impact Intervention for progression retention and attainment.
- Freidman B, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. A bio-reactive barrier sequence for petroleum hydrocarbon capture and degradation in low nutrient environments. INTERNATIONAL BIODETERIORATION & BIODEGRADATION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 116.
- Yi H, Wang Y, Smith K, Fei W, Stevens G. Axial Dispersion and Mass Transfer of a Pulsed Solvent Extraction Column with Novel Ceramic Internals. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 11.
- Wang Y, Yi H, Smith K, Mumford K, Stevens G. Axial Dispersion in a Pulsed and Nonpulsed Disc and Doughnut Solvent Extraction Column. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 14.
- Xiao F, Wang Y, Shen X, Li Z, Perera J, Stevens G. Effect of SDS on kinetics for Co-Cyanex 272 complex in a neutral micellar phase. HYDROMETALLURGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 167.
- Hu G, Smith K, Nicholas N, Yong J, Kentish S, Stevens G. Enzymatic carbon dioxide capture using a thermally stable carbonic anhydrase as a promoter in potassium carbonate solvents. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 307.
- Yi H, Wang Y, Smith K, Fei W, Stevens G. Hydrodynamic Performance of a Pulsed Solvent Extraction Column with Novel Ceramic Internals: Holdup and Drop Size. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 4.
- Wang Y, Yi H, Smith K, Mumford K, Stevens G. Mass transfer in a pulsed and non-pulsed disc and doughnut (PDD) solvent extraction column. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 165.
- Freidman BL, Terry D, Wilkins D, Spedding T, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. Permeable bio-reactive barriers to address petroleum hydrocarbon contamination at subantarctic Macquarie Island. CHEMOSPHERE. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 174.
- Hu G, Smith K, Liu L, Kentish S, Stevens G. Reaction kinetics and mechanism between histidine and carbon dioxide. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 307.
- Hu G, Smith KH, Wu Y, Kentish S, Stevens G. Screening Amino Acid Salts as Rate Promoters in Potassium Carbonate Solvent for Carbon Dioxide Absorption. 17th International Conference on Petroleum Phase Behavior and Fouling (PetroPhase). American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 4.
- Quinn JE, Soldenhoff KH, Stevens G. Solvent extraction of rare earth elements using a bifunctional ionic liquid. Part 2: Separation of rare earth elements.. HYDROMETALLURGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 169.
- Quinn JE, Soldenlioff KH, Stevens G. Solvent extraction of rare earths using a bifunctional ionic liquid. Part 1: Interaction with acidic solutions. HYDROMETALLURGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 169.
- Yong JKJ, Stevens G, Caruso F, Kentish S. The resilience of carbonic anhydrase enzyme for membrane-based carbon capture applications. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 62.
- Mirza N, Nicholas N, Wu Y, Smith K, Kentish S, Stevens G. Viscosities and Carbon Dioxide Solubilities of Guanidine Carbonate and Malic Acid-Based Eutectic Solvents. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING DATA. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 1.
- Statham T, Stark SC, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. A permeable reactive barrier (PRB) media sequence for the remediation of heavy metal and hydrocarbon contaminated water: A field assessment at Casey Station, Antarctica. CHEMOSPHERE. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 147.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile