Professor Sandra Kentish
- Carbon capture and storage
- Dairy processing
- Membrane Technology (Carbon Capture, Water Treatment, desalination)
- Separations technology
- Sonoprocessing (Ultrasound)
- Water recycling
Professor Sandra Kentish is Head of the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. She is also an invited Professor at the Centre for Water, Earth and the Environment within the Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS) in Canada.
Professor Kentish has broad interests in industrial separations, particularly the use of membrane technology for energy, food and water applications. She was the Discipline Leader in the CRC for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) for Membrane Technology from 2003-2015. She was a member of the Research Advisory Committee for the National Centre of Excellence in Desalination from 2010-2016. She was the Deputy Director of the Melbourne Energy Institute from 2009 - 2012.
Professor Kentish has been awarded the Grimwade Prize in Industrial Chemistry, the Caltex Teaching Award of Excellence for Training of Chemical Engineers in Australasia, the Edward Brown Award and Kelvin Medal for Teaching Excellence within the University of Melbourne and the L.R. East Medal as Valedictorian of her Bachelors Degree Class.
Before commencing an academic career, Professor Kentish spent nine years in industry, with positions in Exxon Mobil, Kodak Australasia and Kimberly Clark Australia.
- Kanehashi S, Chen GQ, Danaci D, Webley P, Kentish S. Can the addition of carbon nanoparticles to a polyimide membrane reduce plasticization?. Separation and Purification Technology. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 183.
- Hu G, Smith K, Nicholas N, Yong J, Kentish S, Stevens G. Enzymatic carbon dioxide capture using a thermally stable carbonic anhydrase as a promoter in potassium carbonate solvents. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 307.
- Hu G, Smith K, Kentish S, Stevens G. Reaction kinetics and mechanism between histidine and carbon dioxide. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 307.
- Hu G, Smith KH, Wu Y, Kentish S, Stevens G. Screening Amino Acid Salts as Rate Promoters in Potassium Carbonate Solvent for Carbon Dioxide Absorption. Energy & Fuels. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 4.
- Deng H, Chen GQ, Gras S, Kentish S. The effect of restriction membranes on mass transfer in an electrodialysis with filtration membrane process. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 526.
- Mirza N, Nicholas N, Wu Y, Smith K, Kentish S, Stevens G. Viscosities and Carbon Dioxide Solubilities of Guanidine Carbonate and Malic Acid-Based Eutectic Solvents. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING DATA. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 1.
- Fu Q, Kim J, Gurr P, Scofield J, Kentish S, Qiao G. A novel cross-linked nano-coating for carbon dioxide capture. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Scholes C, Kentish S, Stevens G, Demontigny D. Asymmetric composite PDMS membrane contactors for desorption of CO2 from monoethanolamine. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 55.
- Scofield J, Gurr P, Kim J, Fu Q, Kentish S, Qiao G. Blends of Fluorinated Additives with Highly Selective Thin-Film Composite Membranes to Increase CO2 Permeability for CO2/N-2 Gas Separation Applications. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 30.
- Hu G, Nicholas N, Smith K, Mumford K, Kentish S, Stevens G. Carbon dioxide absorption into promoted potassium carbonate solutions: A review. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GREENHOUSE GAS CONTROL. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 53.
- Kim J, Fu Q, Xie K, Kentish S, Qiao G. CO2 separation using surface-functionalized SiO2 nanoparticles incorporated ultra-thin film composite mixed matrix membranes for post-combustion carbon capture. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 515.
- Kezia K, Lee J, Zisu B, Weeks M, Chen G, Gras S, Kentish S. Crystallisation of minerals from concentrated saline dairy effluent. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 101.
- Scofield J, Gurr P, Kim J, Fu Q, Kentish S, Qiao G. Development of novel fluorinated additives for high performance CO2 separation thin-film composite membranes. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 499.
- Zheng Q, Martin G, Kentish S. Energy efficient transfer of carbon dioxide from flue gases to microalgal systems. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 3.
- Scholes C, Jin J, Stevens G, Kentish S. Hydrocarbon solubility, permeability, and competitive sorption effects in polymer of intrinsic microporosity (PIM-1) membranes. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER PHYSICS. Wiley - John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 54, Issue 3.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile