Professor Sandra Kentish
- Carbon capture and storage
- Dairy processing
- Membrane Technology (Carbon Capture, Water Treatment, desalination)
- Separations technology
- Sonoprocessing (Ultrasound)
- Water recycling
Professor Sandra Kentish is Head of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The University of Melbourne. She is also an invited Professor at the Centre for Water, Earth and the Environment within the Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS) in Canada.
Professor Kentish has broad interests in industrial separations, particularly the use of membrane technology for energy, food and water applications. She has been the Discipline Leader in the CRC for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) for Membrane Technology since 2003. She has also been a member of the Research Advisory Committee for the National Centre of Excellence in Desalination since 2010. She was the Deputy Director of the Melbourne Energy Institute from 2009 - 2012.
Professor Kentish has been awarded the Grimwade Prize in Industrial Chemistry, the Caltex Teaching Award of Excellence for Training of Chemical Engineers in Australasia, the Edward Brown Award and Kelvin Medal for Teaching Excellence within the University of Melbourne and the L.R. East Medal as Valedictorian of her Bachelors Degree Class.
Before commencing an academic career, Professor Kentish spent nine years in industry, with positions in Exxon Mobil, Kodak Australasia and Kimberly Clark Australia.
- Fu Q, Kim J, Gurr P, Scofield J, Kentish S, Qiao G. A novel cross-linked nano-coating for carbon dioxide capture. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Scofield JMP, Gurr PA, Kim J, Fu Q, Kentish S, Kentish SE, Qiao G. Blends of Fluorinated Additives with Highly Selective Thin-Film Composite Membranes to Increase CO2 Permeability for CO2/N2 Gas Separation Applications. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 30.
- Hu G, Nicholas NJ, Smith K, Mumford K, Mumford KA, Kentish S, Kentish SE, Stevens G. Carbon dioxide absorption into promoted potassium carbonate solutions: A review. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 53.
- Kim J, Fu Q, Xie K, Scofield J, Kentish S, Qiao G. CO2 separation using surface-functionalized SiO2 nanoparticles incorporated ultra-thin film composite mixed matrix membranes for post-combustion carbon capture. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 515.
- Kezia K, Lee J, Zisu B, Weeks M, Chen G, Gras S, Kentish S. Crystallisation of minerals from concentrated saline dairy effluent. Water Research. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 101.
- Scofield J, Gurr P, Kim J, Fu Q, Kentish S, Qiao G. Development of novel fluorinated additives for high performance CO2 separation thin-film composite membranes. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 499.
- Zheng Q, Martin G, Kentish S. Energy efficient transfer of carbon dioxide from flue gases to microalgal systems. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 3.
- Scholes C, Jin J, Stevens G, Kentish S. Hydrocarbon solubility, permeability, and competitive sorption effects in polymer of intrinsic microporosity (PIM-1) membranes. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER PHYSICS. Wiley - John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 54, Issue 3.
- Alharthi K, Christianto Y, Aguiar A, Stickland A, Stevens G, Kentish S, Kentish SE. Impact of Fly Ash on the Membrane Performance in Postcombustion Carbon Capture Applications. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 16.
- Scholes C, Stevens G, Stevens GW, Kentish S. Impact of Heavy Hydrocarbons on Natural Gas Sweetening Using Perfluorinated Polymeric Membranes. 250th National Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS). American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 28.
- Yong J, Stevens G, Caruso F, Kentish S. In situ layer-by-layer assembled carbonic anhydrase-coated hollow fiber membrane contactor for rapid CO2 absorption. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 514.
- Larcombe W, Finch S, Sore R, Murray C, Kentish S, Mulder R, Lee-Stecum P, Baik C, Tokatlidis O, Williams D. Prevalence and socio-demographic correlates of psychological distress among students at an Australian university. STUDIES IN HIGHER EDUCATION. Carfax Publishing. 2016, Vol. 41, Issue 6.
- Kentish S. Reclaiming of amine-based absorption liquids used in post-combustion capture. Absorption-Based Post-combustion Capture of Carbon Dioxide. Woodhead Publishing. 2016. Editors: Feron P.
- Chandrapala J, Chen G, Kezia K, Bowman E, Bowman EG, Vasiljevic T, Kentish S. Removal of lactate from acid whey using nanofiltration. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 177.
- Chen G, Eschbach F, Weeks M, Gras S, Kentish S. Removal of lactic acid from acid whey using electrodialysis. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 158.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile