Associate Professor Andrea O'Connor
- Tissue engineering, nanostructured materials, biomaterials, separation processes, adsorbents, 3D printing
Associate Professor OConnor is the Deputy Head (Engagement) of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Her expertise is in chemical and biomedical engineering with particular focus areas including biomaterials, tissue engineering, porous materials and downstream processing for biotechnology. She leads the Tissue Engineering and Nanoporous Materials Research Group in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
Her research and teaching are focussed in cross disciplinary applications of engineering involving biological systems, including a strong interest in 3D soft tissue engineering. She has active collaborations with several medical research institutes and medical device companies in Australia and has worked in the chemical industry in Australia and overseas.
Current Research Activities include:
Nano and Biomolecular Engineering - Tissue engineering Nanostructured materials
Bioprocess Engineering - Separations technology 3D printing
- Kusuma GD, Brennecke SP, O'Connor A, Kalionis B, Heath D. Decellularized extracellular matrices produced from immortal cell lines derived from different parts of the placenta support primary mesenchymal stem cell expansion. PLoS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Braunger J, BjÃ¶rnmalm M, Isles N, Cui J, Henderson T, O'Connor A, Caruso F. Interactions between circulating nanoengineered polymer particles and extracellular matrix components: In vitro. Biomaterials Science. R S C Publications. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 2.
- O'Connor A, Vinu A. Proceedings of the 9th International Mesostructured Materials Symposium. MICROPOROUS AND MESOPOROUS MATERIALS. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 238.
- Li X, Burger S, O'Connor A, Ong L, Karas J, Gras S. An enzyme-responsive controlled release system based on a dual-functional peptide. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 52, Issue 29.
- Sun M, O'Connor A, Wood J, Casson R, Milne I, Biswa D, Selva D. BIOENGINEERING EYELID TARSUS. CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL OPHTHALMOLOGY. Blackwell Science Asia. 2016, Vol. 44.
- Morrison W, Marre D, Grinsell D, Batty A, Trost N, O'Connor A. Creation of a Large Adipose Tissue Construct in Humans Using a Tissue-engineering Chamber: A Step Forward in the Clinical Application of Soft Tissue Engineering. EBIOMEDICINE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 6.
- Gu D, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Ladewig K. Hydrogels with smart systems for delivery of hydrophobic drugs.. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. Informa Healthcare. 2016.
- Khalid A, Tran P, Norello R, O'Connor A, Tomljenovic-Hanic S. Intrinsic fluorescence of selenium nanoparticles for cellular imaging applications. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 6.
- Tran P, O'Brien-Simpson N, Reynolds E, Pantarat N, Biswas D, O'Connor A. Low cytotoxic trace element selenium nanoparticles and their differential antimicrobial properties against S-aureus and E-coli. NANOTECHNOLOGY. IOP Publishing. 2016, Vol. 27, Issue 4.
- Gu D, Ladewig K, Klimak M, Haylock D, McLean KM, O'Connor A, Qiao G. Amphiphilic core cross-linked star polymers as water-soluble, biocompatible and biodegradable unimolecular carriers for hydrophobic drugs. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 6, Issue 36.
- Hartnett TE, O'Connor A, Ladewig K. Cubosomes and other potential ocular drug delivery vehicles for macromolecular therapeutics. EXPERT OPINION ON DRUG DELIVERY. Informa Healthcare. 2015, Vol. 12, Issue 9.
- Henderson T, Ladewig K, Haylock DN, McLean KM, O'Connor A. Formation and characterisation of a modifiable soft macro-porous hyaluronic acid cryogel platform. JOURNAL OF BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE-POLYMER EDITION. VSP. 2015, Vol. 26, Issue 13.
- Tran P, Hocking D, O'Connor A. In situ formation of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles and the impregnation of hydrophobic polycaprolactone matrix for antimicrobial medical device applications. MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING C-MATERIALS FOR BIOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 47.
- Hartnett TE, Ladewig K, O'Connor A, Hartley PG, McLean KM. Physicochemical and cytotoxicity analysis of glycerol monoolein-based nanoparticles. RSC ADVANCES. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 5, Issue 34.
- Go DP, Palmer JA, Mitchell G, Gras S, O'Connor A. Porous PLGA microspheres tailored for dual delivery of biomolecules via layer-by-layer assembly. JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS RESEARCH PART A. Wiley-Liss. 2015, Vol. 103, Issue 5.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile