Associate Professor Andrea O'Connor
- Tissue engineering, nanostructured materials, biomaterials, separation processes, adsorbents, 3D printing
Associate Professor O'Connor is the Deputy Head of the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering. Her expertise is in chemical and biomedical engineering with particular focus areas including biomaterials, tissue engineering, porous materials and downstream processing for biotechnology. She leads the Tissue Engineering Research Group in the Department of Biomedical Engineering.
Her research and teaching are focused in cross disciplinary applications of engineering involving biological systems, including a strong interest in 3D soft tissue engineering. She has active collaborations with several medical research institutes and medical device companies in Australia and has worked in the chemical industry in Australia and overseas.
Current Research Activities include:
Nano and Biomolecular Engineering - Tissue engineering Nanostructured materials
Bioprocess Engineering - Separations technology 3D printing
- Biswas D, Tran P, Tallon Galdeano C, O'Connor A. Combining mechanical foaming and thermally induced phase separation to generate chitosan scaffolds for soft tissue engineering. JOURNAL OF BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE-POLYMER EDITION. VSP. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 2.
- Kusuma GD, Brennecke SP, O'Connor A, Kalionis B, Heath D. Decellularized extracellular matrices produced from immortal cell lines derived from different parts of the placenta support primary mesenchymal stem cell expansion. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Gu D, Tan S, Xu C, O'Connor A, Qiao G. Engineering tough, highly compressible, biodegradable hydrogels by tuning the network architecture.. Chem Commun (Camb). 2017.
- Braunger J, Bjornmalm A, Isles N, Cui J, Henderson T, O'Connor A, Caruso F. Interactions between circulating nanoengineered polymer particles and extracellular matrix components in vitro. BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE. R S C Publications. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 2.
- O'Connor A, Vinu A. Proceedings of the 9th International Mesostructured Materials Symposium. MICROPOROUS AND MESOPOROUS MATERIALS. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 238.
- Li X, Burger S, O'Connor A, Ong L, Karas J, Gras S. An enzyme-responsive controlled release system based on a dual-functional peptide. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 52, Issue 29.
- Morrison W, Marre D, Grinsell D, Batty A, Trost N, O'Connor A. Creation of a Large Adipose Tissue Construct in Humans Using a Tissue-engineering Chamber: A Step Forward in the Clinical Application of Soft Tissue Engineering. EBIOMEDICINE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 6.
- Gu D, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Ladewig K. Hydrogels with smart systems for delivery of hydrophobic drugs.. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. Informa Healthcare. 2016.
- Khalid A, Tran P, Norello R, Simpson D, O'Connor A, Tomljenovic-Hanic S. Intrinsic fluorescence of selenium nanoparticles for cellular imaging applications. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 6.
- Tran P, O'Brien-Simpson N, Reynolds E, Pantarat N, Biswas D, O'Connor A. Low cytotoxic trace element selenium nanoparticles and their differential antimicrobial properties against S-aureus and E-coli. NANOTECHNOLOGY. IOP Publishing. 2016, Vol. 27, Issue 4.
- Shakouri-Motlagh A, O'Connor A, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B, Heath D. Native and solubilized decellularized extracellular matrix: A critical assessment of their potential for improving the expansion of mesenchymal stem cells. Acta Biomaterialia. Elsevier BV. 2016.
- Gu D, Ladewig K, Klimak M, Haylock D, McLean KM, O'Connor A, Qiao G. Amphiphilic core cross-linked star polymers as water-soluble, biocompatible and biodegradable unimolecular carriers for hydrophobic drugs. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 6, Issue 36.
- Hartnett TE, O'Connor A, Ladewig K. Cubosomes and other potential ocular drug delivery vehicles for macromolecular therapeutics. EXPERT OPINION ON DRUG DELIVERY. Informa Healthcare. 2015, Vol. 12, Issue 9.
- Henderson T, Ladewig K, Haylock DN, McLean KM, O'Connor A. Formation and characterisation of a modifiable soft macro-porous hyaluronic acid cryogel platform. JOURNAL OF BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE-POLYMER EDITION. VSP. 2015, Vol. 26, Issue 13.
- Tran P, Hocking D, O'Connor A. In situ formation of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles and the impregnation of hydrophobic polycaprolactone matrix for antimicrobial medical device applications. MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING C-MATERIALS FOR BIOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 47.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile