Professor Jan Stephanus Jakob Van Deventer
- Commercialisation of technology
- Conversion of waste materials into low CO2 cement
- Mineral processing
Jannie van Deventer was educated in South Africa, where he was Head of Chemical Engineering at the University of Stellenbosch. In 1995 he became Professor of Mineral and Process Engineering at the University of Melbourne. From 2003 to 2007 he served as Dean of Engineering. Since 2010 he is an Honorary Professorial Fellow and continues research into geopolymers and mineral processing. Since 2006 Jannie has been the CEO of Zeobond, which is commercialising low CO2 alkali-activated concrete products. He previously commercialised computer vision technology in the mineral industry, and continues to be involved in the commercialisation of precious metal extraction processes. His publication record of more than 600 papers includes 278 journal papers. He is author of the highest ever cited papers in two journals in mineral processing. In February 2014 he was the world’s highest cited researcher in cement and concrete science. He has supervised to completion 30 Master’s and 38 PhD theses.
- Van Deventer J. Characterisation of One-Part Geopolymer Binders Made from Fly Ash. WASTE AND BIOMASS VALORIZATION. Springer. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
- Bernal SA, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Alkali-activated slag cements produced with a blended sodium carbonate/sodium silicate activator. ADVANCES IN CEMENT RESEARCH. ICE Publishing. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 4.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Rees GJ, Hanna JV, Van Deventer J, Provis JL. Phase evolution of C-(N)-A-S-H/N-A-S-H gel blends investigated via alkali-activation of synthetic calcium aluminosilicate precursors. CEMENT AND CONCRETE RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 89.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Gehman JD, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Phase evolution of Na2O-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O gels in synthetic aluminosilicate binders. DALTON TRANSACTIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 45, Issue 13.
- Van Deventer J. Solid Reactant-Based Geopolymers from Rice Hull Ash and Sodium Aluminate. Waste and Biomass Valorization. Springer. 2016.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Gehman JD, Van Deventer J, Provis JL. Synthesis of stoichiometrically controlled reactive aluminosilicate and calcium-aluminosilicate powders. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 297.
- Bernal S, Provis J, Mejia De Gutierrez R, Van Deventer J. Accelerated carbonation testing of alkali-activated slag/metakaolin blended concretes: effect of exposure conditions. MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES. Springer. 2015, Vol. 48, Issue 3.
- Provis J, Yong SL, Van Deventer J. Characterising the Reaction of Metakaolin in an Alkaline Environment by XPS, and Time- and Spatially-Resolved FTIR Spectroscopy. 1st International Conference on Calcined Clays for Sustainable Concrete. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 10. Editors: Scrivener K, Favier A.
- Mohammadnejad S, Provis J, Van Deventer J. Computational modelling of gold complexes using density functional theory. COMPUTATIONAL AND THEORETICAL CHEMISTRY. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 1073.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Creep behaviour of geopolymer. 10th International Conference on the Physical Properties and Application of Advanced Materials (ICPMAT). 2015.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Bernal SA, Provis J, Van Deventer J. Effect of MgO incorporation on the structure of synthetic alkali-activated calcium aluminosilicate binders. 27th Biennial National Conference of the Concrete Institute of Australia (CONCRETE). 2015.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Mini-Beam Test for Assessing the Creep Trend of Paste, Mortar, and Concrete. 10th International Conference on Mechanics and Physics of Creep, Shrinkage, and Durability of Concrete and Concrete Structures (CONCREEP). 2015.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Predictions of long-term deflection of geopolymer concrete beams. CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 94.
- Bernal SA, Provis J, Myers RJ, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Role of carbonates in the chemical evolution of sodium carbonate-activated slag binders. MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES. Springer. 2015, Vol. 48, Issue 3.
- Walkley B, Provis J, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Van Deventer J. Stoichiometrically controlled C-(A)-S-H/N-A-S-H gel blends via alkali activation of synthetic precursors. ADVANCES IN APPLIED CERAMICS. Maney Publishing. 2015, Vol. 114, Issue 7.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile