Professor Jan Stephanus Jakob Van Deventer
- Commercialisation of technology
- Conversion of waste materials into low CO2 cement
- Mineral processing
Jannie van Deventer was educated in South Africa, where he was Head of Chemical Engineering at the University of Stellenbosch. In 1995 he became Professor of Mineral and Process Engineering at the University of Melbourne. From 2003 to 2007 he served as Dean of Engineering. Since 2010 he is an Honorary Professorial Fellow and continues research into geopolymers and mineral processing. Since 2006 Jannie has been the CEO of Zeobond, which is commercialising low CO2 alkali-activated concrete products. He previously commercialised computer vision technology in the mineral industry, and continues to be involved in the commercialisation of precious metal extraction processes. His publication record of more than 600 papers includes 278 journal papers. He is author of the highest ever cited papers in two journals in mineral processing. In February 2014 he was the world’s highest cited researcher in cement and concrete science. He has supervised to completion 30 Master’s and 38 PhD theses.
- Hajimohammadi A, Ngo T, Mendis P, Kashani A, Van Deventer J. Alkali activated slag foams: The effect of the alkali reaction on foam characteristics. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 147.
- Hajimohammadi A, Van Deventer J. Characterisation of One-Part Geopolymer Binders Made from Fly Ash. WASTE AND BIOMASS VALORIZATION. Springer. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
- Mohammadnejad S, Provis J, Van Deventer J. Computational modelling of interactions between gold complexes and silicates. COMPUTATIONAL AND THEORETICAL CHEMISTRY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 1101.
- Hajimohammadi A, Ngo T, Mendis P, Nguyen T, Kashani A, Van Deventer J. Pore characteristics in one-part mix geopolymers foamed by H2O2: The impact of mix design. MATERIALS & DESIGN. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 130.
- Castaldi M, Van Deventer J, Lavoie JM, Legrand J, Nzihou A, Pontikes Y, Py X, Vandecasteele C, Vasudevan PT, Verstraete W. Progress and Prospects in the Field of Biomass and Waste to Energy and Added-Value Materials. Waste and Biomass Valorization. Springer. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 6.
- Hajimohammadi A, Van Deventer J. Solid Reactant-Based Geopolymers from Rice Hull Ash and Sodium Aluminate. Waste and Biomass Valorization. Springer. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 6.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M-A, Bernal SA, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Structural evolution of synthetic alkali-activated CaO-MgO-Na2O-Al2O3-SiO2 materials is influenced by Mg content. CEMENT AND CONCRETE RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 99.
- Bernal SA, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Alkali-activated slag cements produced with a blended sodium carbonate/sodium silicate activator. ADVANCES IN CEMENT RESEARCH. ICE Publishing. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 4.
- Hajimohammadi A, Van Deventer J. Dissolution behaviour of source materials for synthesis of geopolymer binders: A kinetic approach. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MINERAL PROCESSING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 153.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Rees GJ, Hanna JV, Van Deventer J, Provis JL. Phase evolution of C-(N)-A-S-H/N-A-S-H gel blends investigated via alkali-activation of synthetic calcium aluminosilicate precursors. CEMENT AND CONCRETE RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 89.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Gehman JD, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Phase evolution of Na2O-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O gels in synthetic aluminosilicate binders. DALTON TRANSACTIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 45, Issue 13.
- Van Deventer J. Progress in the Adoption of Geopolymer Cement. Handbook of Low Carbon Concrete. 2016.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Gehman JD, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Synthesis of stoichiometrically controlled reactive aluminosilicate and calcium-aluminosilicate powders. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 297.
- Bernal S, Provis J, Mejia De Gutierrez R, Van Deventer J. Accelerated carbonation testing of alkali-activated slag/metakaolin blended concretes: effect of exposure conditions. MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES. Springer. 2015, Vol. 48, Issue 3.
- Provis J, Yong SL, Van Deventer J. Characterising the Reaction of Metakaolin in an Alkaline Environment by XPS, and Time- and Spatially-Resolved FTIR Spectroscopy. 1st International Conference on Calcined Clays for Sustainable Concrete. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 10. Editors: Scrivener K, Favier A.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile