Professor Peter Scales
- Compressive and shear rheology
- Flocculation (Aggregate structure)
- Hydrometallurgy and nanoparticle synthesis and dispersion
- Particulate flow and particulate (colloidal) interfacial phenomena (Rheology)
- Separations using thickening, filtration and centrifugation
- Water and waste water processing (Membrane fouling)
- Water quality and recycle
Prof Peter Scales is Deputy Dean of the School of Engineering, University of Melbourne and a professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. He is theme leader for 'water' in the Carlton Connect Initiative, Director of the Australia-China Joint Research Centre on River Basin Management (water resources and water quality) and Director of the Particulate Fluids Processing Centre, a Special Research Centre of the Australian Research Council. His research interests are in the area of slurry flow, molecular adsorption, particle dispersion and manufacture, particle flocculation and separations technologies. The application space of his work is to separations and processing in the mining, water, waste water and pharmaceuticals industries where both water recycle and transport of wastes are major issues. In addition to his research interests, he is on the editorial board of four journals, is a Fellow of IChemE and Engineers Australia and has won prizes for both his teaching and research.
- Zhang J, Duke MC, Northcott K, Packer M, Allinson M, Allinson G, Kadokami K, Tan J, Allard S, CrouÃ© JP, Knight A, Scales P, Gray SR. Small scale Direct Potable Reuse (DPR) project for a remote area. Water (Switzerland). MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Wijesinghe D, Dassanayake K, Sommer SG, Jayasinghe GY, Scales P, Chen D. Ammonium removal from high-strength aqueous solutions by Australian zeolite. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND HEALTH PART A-TOXIC/HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES & ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. 2016, Vol. 51, Issue 8.
- Skinner S, Stickland A, White L, Lester DR, Usher S, Scales P. Analysis of Centrifugal Settling of Strongly Flocculated Suspensions. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). 2016.
- Zhang J, Cran M, Northcott K, Packer M, Duke M, Milne N, Scales P, Knight A, Gray SR. Assessment of pressure decay test for RO protozoa removal validation in remote operations. DESALINATION. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 386.
- Stickland A, Skinner S, Scales P. Compressive rheology of biofouling: application to membrane bioreactors. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Computational models of populations of bacteria and lytic phage. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN MICROBIOLOGY. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 6.
- Stickland A, Irvin E, Skinner S, Scales P, Hawkey A, Kaswalder F. Filter Press Performance for Fast-Filtering Compressible Suspensions. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 3.
- Zhang J, Northcott K, Duke M, Scales P, Gray SR. Influence of pre-treatment combinations on RO membrane fouling. DESALINATION. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 393.
- Yap B, Crawford S, Dagastine R, Scales P, Martin G. Nitrogen deprivation of microalgae: effect on cell size, cell wall thickness, cell strength, and resistance to mechanical disruption. JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY. Nature America. 2016, Vol. 43, Issue 12.
- Stickland A, Skinner S, Scales P. Optimisation of Filter Design and Operation for Wastewater Treatment Sludge. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). 2016.
- Yap B, Martin G, Scales P. Rheological manipulation of flocculated algal slurries to achieve high solids processing. ALGAL RESEARCH-BIOMASS BIOFUELS AND BIOPRODUCTS. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 14.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland AD, Scales P, Gras S. Simulation of phage dynamics in multi-reactor models of complex wastewater treatment systems. Biochemical Engineering Journal. Elsevier Science. 2016.
- HÖfgen E, Stickland A, Scales P, Batterham R. Superposition of compression and shear in filtration. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Goni C, Jeldres RI, Toledo PG, Stickland A, Scales P. A non-linear viscoelastic model for sediments flocculated in the presence of seawater salts. COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 482.
- Spehar R, Kiviti-Manor A, Fawell P, Usher S, Rudman M, Scales P. Aggregate densification in the thickening of flocculated suspensions in an un-networked bed. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 122.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile