Professor Ray Dagastine
- Atomic Force Microscopy and surface characterization
- Brownian Dynamics of Particles
- Chemical Product Formulation
- Dynamic forces in soft matter
- Emulsions and Foams
- Micro-Cantilever fabrication
Professor Ray Dagastine leads a research group in interfacial phenomena focused on the interactions between drops, bubbles and particles that control soft matter in the Dept of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in the Melbourne School of Engineering.
During his appointment of the University of Melbourne Professor Dagastine has been an ARC Future Fellow (2010 - 2014) and a Senior Technology Fellow at the Melbourne Centre of Nanofabrication (2012 - 2015).
Dagastine is also the initiative chair of the Materials Research Hallmark Initiative at the University of Melbourne and is the academic leader of a the Materials Characterisation and Fabrication Platform .
His research interests are in the area of particulate and droplet interfacial phenomena, emulsion stability and deformable surfaces. He is a leading researcher in developing experimental methods and theoretical analytical tools to study interaction forces between deformable liquid-liquid interfaces using both optical techniques and atomic force microscopy.
He also has research interests in structure in complex fluids, non-equilibrium surface forces, and protein interactions and nanomechanical properties of capsules and micro-particles.
- Hanumanth Rao NR, Granville AM, Browne C, Dagastine R, Yap R, Jefferson B, Henderson RK. Determining how polymer-bubble interactions impact algal separation using the novel “Posi”-dissolved air flotation process. Separation and Purification Technology. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 201. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2018.03.003
- Mettu S, Wu C, Dagastine R. Dynamic forces between emulsified water drops coated with Poly-Glycerol-Poly-Ricinoleate (PGPR) in canola oil. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. Academic Press. 2018, Vol. 517. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2018.01.104
- Mettu S, Berry J, Dagastine R. Charge and Film Drainage of Colliding Oil Drops Coated with the Nonionic Surfactant C12E5. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 33, Issue 20. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.6b04632
- Reis R, Duke MC, Tardy B, Oldfield D, Dagastine R, Orbell JD, Dumee LF. Charge tunable thin-film composite membranes by gamma-ray triggered surface polymerization. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-04900-5
- Allioux F-M, Garvey CJ, Rehm C, Tardy B, Dagastine R, Hodgson PD, Kong L, Dumee LF. Insights into Free Volume Variations across Ion-Exchange Membranes upon Mixed Solvents Uptake by Small and Ultrasmall Angle Neutron Scattering. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.6b15958
- Berry J, Dagastine R. Mapping coalescence of micron-sized drops and bubbles. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 487. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2016.10.040
- Veytskin YB, Tammina VK, Bobko CP, Hartley PG, Clennell MB, Dewhurst DN, Dagastine R. Micromechanical characterization of shales through nanoindentation and energy dispersive x-ray spectrometry. GEOMECHANICS FOR ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 9. DOI: 10.1016/j.gete.2016.10.004
- Berry J, Mettu S, Dagastine R. Precise measurements of capsule mechanical properties using indentation. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1039/c6sm02841a
- Dumee LF, Yi Z, Tardy B, Merenda A, Ligneris ED, Dagastine R, Kong L. Silver metal nano-matrixes as high efficiency and versatile catalytic reactors for environmental remediation. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7. DOI: 10.1038/srep45112
- Ye Q, Biviano M, Mettu S, Zhou M, Dagastine R, Ashokkumar M. Modification of pea protein isolate for ultrasonic encapsulation of functional liquids. RSC ADVANCES. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 6, Issue 108. DOI: 10.1039/c6ra17585f
- Guo J, Tardy B, Christofferson AJ, Dai Y, Richardson J, Zhu W, Hu M, Ju Y, Cui J, Dagastine R, Yarovsky I, Caruso F. Modular assembly of superstructures from polyphenol-functionalized building blocks. NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1038/NNANO.2016.172
- Yap B, Crawford S, Dagastine R, Scales P, Martin G. Nitrogen deprivation of microalgae: effect on cell size, cell wall thickness, cell strength, and resistance to mechanical disruption. JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY. Nature America. 2016, Vol. 43, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1007/s10295-016-1848-1
- Mettu S, Zhou M, Tardy B, Ashokkumar M, Dagastine R. Temperature dependent mechanical properties of air, oil and water filled microcapsules studied by atomic force microscopy. POLYMER. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 102. DOI: 10.1016/j.polymer.2016.02.046
- Reis R, Dumee LF, Tardy B, Dagastine R, Orbell JD, Schutz JA, Duke MC. Towards Enhanced Performance Thin-film Composite Membranes via Surface Plasma Modification. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1038/srep29206
- Tan S, Mettu S, Biviano M, Zhou M, Babgi B, White J, Dagastine R, Ashokkumar M. Ultrasonic synthesis of stable oil filled microcapsules using thiolated chitosan and their characterization by AFM and numerical simulations. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 12, Issue 34. DOI: 10.1039/c6sm01402j
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile