Dr Greg Martin
- Biofuel production processes (Fermentation, microalgae, lignocellulose)
- Dairy processing (Casein micelles, powder, concentration)
- Microalgal processing (Cell disruption, lipid extraction, biomass processing)
Dr Greg Martin is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The University of Melbourne. His research in the field of bioprocess engineering aims to develop fundamental understanding for application in large-scale biotechnological processes. This has included research into the bioconversion of lignocellulose to ethanol, application of bacteriophage to wastewater treatment, and investigations into the physicochemical aspects of dairy processing. He currently leads the Algal Processing Group, a research group that is developing efficient downstream processing technologies for the conversion of microalgal biomass into different bioproducts. Dr Martin's research interests include:
- Efficient large-scale cell disruption of microalgae using high pressure homogenisation
- Application of advanced lipidomic methods to microalgal biotechnology
- Development of efficient lipid extraction processes for concentrated microalgal pastes
- Physicochemical behaviour of milk during membrane filtration and the manufacture and rehydration of dairy powders
- Dynamics and structure of casein micelles
- Functionalised milk streams and double emulsions
Biofuel production processes
- Recovery of triacylglycerides from microalgae for biodiesel production
- Dilute acid hydrolysis and enzymatic conversion of lignocellulose to fermentable sugars
- Recombinant bacteria for fermentation of lignocellulose-derived sugars to ethanol
- Di H, Martin G, Dunstan DE. A microfluidic system for studying particle deposition during ultrafiltration. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 532.
- Law SQK, Chen B, Scales P, Martin G. Centrifugal recovery of solvent after biphasic wet extraction of lipids from a concentrated slurry of Nannochloropsis sp. biomass. Algal Research. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 24.
- Leong T, Zhou M, Kukan N, Ashokkumar M, Martin G. Preparation of water-in-oil-in-water emulsions by low frequency ultrasound using skim milk and sunflower oil. FOOD HYDROCOLLOIDS. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 63.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Simulation of phage dynamics in multi-reactor models of complex wastewater treatment systems. BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 122.
- Leong T, Martin G, Ashokkumar M. Ultrasonic encapsulation - A review. 2nd Asia-Oceania-Sonochemical-Society (AOSS) Conference. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 35.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Computational models of populations of bacteria and lytic phage. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN MICROBIOLOGY. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 6.
- Zheng Q, Martin G, Kentish S. Energy efficient transfer of carbon dioxide from flue gases to microalgal systems. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 3.
- Martin G. Energy requirements for wet solvent extraction of lipids from microalgal biomass. BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 205.
- Yap B, Crawford S, Dagastine R, Scales P, Martin G. Nitrogen deprivation of microalgae: effect on cell size, cell wall thickness, cell strength, and resistance to mechanical disruption. JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY. Nature America. 2016, Vol. 43, Issue 12.
- Yap B, Martin G, Scales P. Rheological manipulation of flocculated algal slurries to achieve high solids processing. ALGAL RESEARCH-BIOMASS BIOFUELS AND BIOPRODUCTS. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 14.
- Halim R, Webley P, Martin G. The CIDES process: Fractionation of concentrated microalgal paste for co-production of biofuel, nutraceuticals, and high-grade protein feed. ALGAL RESEARCH-BIOMASS BIOFUELS AND BIOPRODUCTS. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 19.
- Callahan D, Martin G, Hill D, Olmstead I, Dias D. Analytical Approaches for the Detailed Characterization of Microalgal Lipid Extracts for the Production of Biodiesel. Marine Algae Extracts : Processes, Products, and Applications. 2015, Vol. 1-2.
- Yap B, Dumsday GJ, Scales P, Martin G. Energy evaluation of algal cell disruption by high pressure homogenisation. BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 184.
- Spiden E, Scales P, Yap B, Kentish S, Hill D, Martin G. The effects of acidic and thermal pretreatment on the mechanical rupture of two industrially relevant microalgae: Chlorella sp and Navicula sp.. ALGAL RESEARCH-BIOMASS BIOFUELS AND BIOPRODUCTS. Elsevier. 2015, Vol. 7.
- Takouridis S, Tribe D, Gras S, Martin G. The selective breeding of the freshwater microalga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii for growth in salinity. BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 184.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile